There’s no denying that being a stay-at-home mom is an overwhelmingly rewarding experience. However, it can also be challenging at times, especially if you’ve previously held a job where your appearance played a key role in your professional success and personal fulfillment. As the old saying goes, “When you play mom all day, every day.. you lose mom looks as well as job.” That being said, finding ways to stay stylish while juggling childcare responsibilities and other household duties is essential for any SAHM who wants to maintain her sense of self throughout this period in her life.
Stay-at-home moms lead extremely busy lives! Between taking care of the kids when they are home from school and going on errands with the little ones during their afternoons off, there isn’t much time left over for scheduling appointments at the hair salon or local spa. Luckily, there are several creative ways that any stay-at-home mom can find new ways to look great without spending a lot of money on expensive services or clothing.
Make the most of what you have
One of the best ways that any stay-at-home mom can stay stylish without forking out a ton of money is by making the most of the clothing items that she currently owns. The following tips can help you maximize the use of your existing wardrobe.
- Choose dark-colored pieces – Darker colours generally hide stains and other blemishes better than light-colored items do.
- See your wardrobe through a different lens – The clothes that you’ve had in your closet since you were a teenager may not be the most stylish things you own now. Instead of letting them go to waste, try wearing them in a new way.
- Revamp your wardrobe with these tips – If you’re not able to wear your old clothes in a new way, or you simply want new items, there are plenty of ways to save money while staying stylish.
- Stretch the longevity of items – You can make some clothes last longer by washing them in cold water and by only drying them on a low setting if they are machine-washable.
Reuse and recycle
One of the best ways that any stay-at-home mom can make the most of her existing clothing is by reusing and recycling them in as many ways as possible. Here are a few examples of how you can do this.
- If your kids are in school, you’ve likely seen other moms wearing knee-length skirts over their leggings. Try wearing a knee-length skirt over your leggings to save time when you get ready for work and for school runs.
- Sweaters can be reused beyond their intended purpose. They can be worn as a shawl in warmer weather or as a scarf during cooler weather. They can also be used as a pillow when you travel with your kids.
- If you’ve ever seen a SAHM at the playground wearing a shirt that says “World’s Best Mom,” you’ve likely noticed that they often wear long-sleeve shirts under short-sleeve shirts. This can save you money, especially if the short-sleeve shirt is a t-shirt that you regularly wear.
Swap and sell
Another creative way to make the most of your existing wardrobe is to swap and sell items that you no longer wear. Swapping clothes with other moms in your neighbourhood can be a great way to get a free makeover while helping someone else makeover their own wardrobe as well. You can also try selling items that you no longer have any use for on an online consignment shop such as Poshmark. Selling items online is a great way to make money to put towards new clothes for the fall or winter seasons.
Try out a new hair care regimen
A new hair care regimen can freshen up your look and provide your hair with more volume and shine. Experiment with different shampoos and conditioners to find the combination that works best for you. If your hair is shorter than shoulder length, try adding product to it before you style it. Product can help improve the texture of your hair and make it look more voluminous. If your hair is longer than shoulder length, try adding product after you style it. Some styling products can be damaging to your hair, so it’s best to apply product after you style it.
Incorporate your kid’s interests into your own activities
While you are busy taking care of your kids, they are generally also busy with their interests. Finding ways to incorporate these into your own daily routine can help you stay stylish while spending time with your kids. If your kids are into sports, try varying your look by wearing sports jerseys as outerwear when the weather is warm. If your child is involved in dance, yoga, or other activities that require you to wear specific clothing items, you can incorporate them into your look as well. Stretchy yoga pants and sports bras can easily be worn as everyday bottoms and tops when the weather is warm.
Get creative with your makeup routine
If you are in the habit of wearing a full face of makeup every day. A creative way to stay stylish while doing so is to alter the items that you use. Try changing your lipstick shade to match your mood or season or wear lip balm instead of lipstick if you are more comfortable doing so. If you wear eye makeup, switch up your shades or try using eyeliner instead of eye shadow. If you wear mascara, try using a different brand or formula to give your look a new feel.